Thursday, June 17, 2010

Stout Cupcakes

"Stout beer which gets its dark color and bold flavor from roasted malt, is sometimes used in English and Irish recipes for spice cakes and quick breads. The cupcake versions make excellent hostess gifts or after-dinner treats; serve them with coffee or glasses of stout." --Martha

My goodness, I must be on a drinking binge! I didn't realize I was ever on the wagon to go off of it! But, this is the 2nd recipe in a row with liquor. Thank goodness we just had a party on Saturday night or I wouldn't have had the stout for these recipes. Leftover beers are always a bonus when you have friends over...of course, this one I indeed put "BYO Potent Potable" on the invitation; so, we were bound to have leftovers. Not that, THAT was the reason for the party! I didn't plan on stocking my frig with the graciousness of guests....did I? (a subconscious thought perhaps?)

Anyway, I digress....not only does this recipe have the liquor, it also has that dreaded unsulfured molasses again. Honestly, how many people continue to bake with molasses that there should be so many recipes with it? I really can't stand it. I mean once it is baked into the recipe, it's OK, but it's not the kind of thing you can lick off of your fingers. (Not that I do that either! Right?) Thankfully, I have emptied the bottle I bought a while back and I do believe that there are no more in the book with molasses. You know, if I come across one, I am just going to go back to my standard substitute of pancake syrup with dark brown sugar mixed in, anyway. Hasn't failed yet! (AND it's so much better tasting off the digits.)

Ground cinnamon, freshly grated nutmeg and orange zest give these dark babies a fantastic flavor too. This was an easy recipe to follow and make, aside from the need for the molasses. Martha is hooked on the double-bowl thing and sometimes goes as far as using three bowls for one simple recipe. I prefer to mix my liquids first, then with a sieve over the top of the bowl, simply add the dry ingredients to it and sift away into the mixture. Save yourself the dirtying of the 2nd bowl and use one. It works.

No comments:

Post a Comment