Thursday, November 19, 2009

Page 270 Fresh Flower-Topped Pound Cakes

"There's no need to perfect your piping skills to create beautiful flower-topped cupcakes. Instead, adorn them with a few fresh, edible flowers. Some of the best-tasting varieties include masturtiums, pansies, hibiscus, snapdragons, violets and marigolds. Use only flowers grown without pesticieds, either from your own organice garden or from specialty suppliers. When making the little ppound cakes, remember to cream the butter and sugar thoroughly to produce the right texture." - Martha

How many of you have ever bought a particular item from the grocer to use in a special recipe, but by the time you actually got around to doing what you talked yourself into, that item was wilted, or molded, or dried up, or whatever? Well, I had purchased some pansies from a friend's son's fundraiser and I purposefully did not plant all of them because I didn't want the rabbits getting them or bugs eating them before I got a chance to use them. So here's my chance. I go to my laundry room window where I have decided they would get good sunlight so they'd be perfect by the time I needed to decorate with the flowers. A few days go by, then a week or two before I make these cupcakes (too many other non-necessities got in the way) and now the flowers are dried up. As ugly as sin itself! I went out into the yard where I had placed the other pansies; left to the submission of the elements and the critters, they are gone too. Bummer!

I made the pound cakes and they turned out great! But since my attempt at fresh-flowers went awry, I simply chose to decorate them with a buttery-rich cream frosting. But as an experiment I also took the time to make some almond paste, and I filled each cake with a dollup of the paste. These pound cakes remind me of buttery-rich croissants and almond croissants have continued to make the top of my patisserie list. It really melded as a perfect match.

No comments:

Post a Comment