Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lavender Iced Cupcakes

"I'm ba-ack!"

"Appearances can be deceiving: these sugared flower-topped cupcakes look like dainty petits four, but the lavender-flavored and colored icing hides a rich cupcake. look for dried lavender at specialty markets or line; edible pesticide-free flowers can be found at baking supply stores. You can also make the icing without the lavender." -- Martha



So it's a coincidence that the cupcakes I chose to make had crystalized flowers on them in her book's photo as I re-read over my previous blog post from way back in November 2009. I wasn't about to go there again trying to grow or keep any pansies or the such when I already know my calling is in the kitchen NOT the yard! I know I have a brown-thumb and there it will stay, never changing, no matter how much work I put into it. (And I have put work into it. So much failure I even resorted to asking for a Chia Herb Garden for my Christmas present and still managed not to grow anything but a few sprigs of chives...teeny, tiny chives that lasted all of a week. And everybody knows that growing chives is super easy.)


But where I do have fun and enjoy the fruits of my labor is in my kitchen baking and cooking. I think I own just about every contraption (thanks, Karen) that has been made for baking and so rather than simply placing these cupcakes in cupcake papers, I chose to use the oft un-used cast-iron mini-rosette bundt pan. These specialty pans rarely come out of the big drawer and so today I allowed them to soak in the light-of-day...something I guess I should do with my garden plants once in a while!


These cupcakes are so moist and rich with flavor; the lavender icing really sets them apart on the scale of good to great. Infusing boiled milk steeping with lavender and then adding the powdered sugar to it, refreshed the air around the house and the cloud in my brain after so many months of grayness. I iced the vanilla cupcakes in the photo as well as some chocolate brownies and both were a taste of fantasia. But you might say, "Where does one get the lavender to use? Martha says specialty stores or on-line. But I shop kitcheny stores all the time and have never seen lavender for sale. I would say your best-bet is to order on-line...if you have the time and can plan that far ahead. Otherwise, you can visit your favorite french cafe like I did and take some from off of the display at the hostess desk. (You only need about 1 teaspoon.) Yes, I did that! Slap my hand now....it was for an experiment in the kitchen, all in the name of science.

I highly recommend using this icing the next time you want to impress the PTA or church bake sale or even your relatives (who rarely impress because they are all so talented in their own right.) Go ahead - git 'er done!

No comments:

Post a Comment