Monday, July 27, 2009

Page 42 Blueberries and Cream Cupcakes


"The summery combination of blueberries and whipped cream tops berry-filled cupcakes. The muffin-like cakes, which can also be served for breakfast or brunch, are delightful as standard or mini cupcakes." - Martha

These cupcakes are in my opinion definitely NOT muffins but are truly cupcakes. The batter is very light and airy and they bake up the same way too. To me, a muffin is a bit heavier textured batter. However, I will agree with Martha that the whipped cream and blueberry cake combo is delightful as both a standard cupcake and a mini! I baked some of both sizes.

I found that in my convection oven the timing for baking was off a bit. The minis took longer than 15 minutes, more like 20 but the standard cakes were right on. Of course the exact times were difficult to calculate since the electricity went off in the middle of baking due to the storms outside. I think it was off for about two minutes before I realized I had these in the oven!

And, as usual, even though I thought I'd be able to make these as written, I couldn't. I didn't have any cake flour. I used all-purpose flour for the entire recipe. I made sure to sift as she suggests; I know Martha loves to sift everything 3 times!

Since I didn't want to make 30 cupcakes, in the case I was the only one devouring them, I made a half recipe of 15 cakes and the batter turned out perfectly. I love it when you can half a recipe without any consequences!

No comments:

Post a Comment