Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Page 29 Coconut Cupcakes

"Calling all coconut lovers: These cupcakes get intense flavor from ground sweetened coconut and coconut milk in the batter, billowy seven-minute frosting sppiked with coconut extract, and a garnish of unsweetened coconut flakes (available at natural food stores.) Be sure to buy only unsweetened coconut milk, not the sweeter varieties (such as Coco Lopez) used to make mixed drinks." -- Martha

Easy, schmeezy, breezy coconut cupcakes! The flavor is dreamy and the taste is heavenly. Coconut lovers will definitely fall for this one, and I didn't even use all I should have of the flavor possibilities!

In preparation for this treat I didn't have any sweetened coconut in the house nor did I have the coconut extract for the frosting. I did have the unsweetened coconut, in shreds not flakes. Isn't that weird? Most cooks probably keep the sweetened coconut on hand because most recipes designate it or no particular kind so most folks use the pre-sweetened. I ran out of it when I made the hummingbird cakes and hadn't yet gone to buy more before now. So, even though I love the flavor in the cupcakes I made here, I am sure the real deal would have been even more tasty!

Also, whenever I have made coconut cream pie, I always toasted the coconut before applying it as a garnish; I decided to do that tonight as well. Although Martha's photo of the all-white cupcake is divine, I really like how the toasted coconut makes a stand on the piled high fluffy frosting. I could eat that frosting all night as is...Mm-mm good!

No comments:

Post a Comment