Saturday, October 10, 2009

Page 37 Chocolate Malted Cupcakes

"Malted milk powder gives these chocolate cupcakes a nostalgic flavor reminiscent of a soda fountain favorite. So as not to overpower the taste of the malt, use a mild-tasting Dutch-process cocoa powder such as Droste." - Martha

This is one of those particular occassions where I did not have the malted milk powder in the house. As opposed to subbing a different ingredient in the recipe, I chose to go to the store and buy some malt powder so that the essence of the recipe was intact. I guess I could have used some powdered milk as a substitute just to see how the cupcakes would have turned out, but since the name is Chocolate Malted Cupcakes, it was OK by me this time to buy something special. When all of the ingredients are pretty standard for any pantry, it's hard to say you'll substitute something. This recipe is pretty standard and it tastes just like you'd think. Great cupcakes for those holiday parties upcoming at the end of the month.
I found the look of Martha's photographed cupcakes very intriguing, so I copied it, to a point. My favorite holiday in the world world is Halloween! So if you see many more postings depicting this theme, don't be surprised. By the way, the spider isn't real! Mwa-ha-ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment