Monday, September 28, 2009

Page 114 Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes

"Boston Cream Pie - which, of course, is not a pie at all - originated at the Parker House Hotel in Boston in the 1850's. When home cooks replicated the dessert, they baked the soft yellow sponge cake in pie tins (hence the name), which were more readily available than cake pans. This petite variation is at once familiar and novel." - Martha

Interestingly, when looking at the photo in the cookbook I noticed that the cake seemed to be crisp and hard-looking. The cut that halves the cupcake is pristine, no crumbs, pricise edges, and I wondered...sponge cake looks like that? I remember making jelly rolls with my mom and our sponge cake always looked rather "spongy." I was worried that the cake was going to be flavorless, and frankly, it was. I followed the recipe to the tee this time...can you believe it?...and these cupcakes were tough and unforgiving. The only thing I did diferently is that according to the recipe, Martha wanted these baked directly into the muffin tin and I chose to use silicone baking cups instead. At least that gave me a softer outside crust, because if had I baked them in the tins, I would have had a crustier crust and I think that would have made them even more tough to eat. The pastry cream just sat on the cake never introducing itself to the baked batter. It began to drip off as you can see by my photo so that by the time one would eat a cake, it had all but schmooshed out already just from the weight of the topper.

Now don't get me wrong, the pastry cream is the best thing since sliced bread! So creamy, so comforting, and the ganache is to die for! But combining them with this sponge cake just didn't work for me. The look is lovely and it seems as though it would be heaven-on-earth to eat, but the cupcake is dry and not very sponge-like. These were too hard to eat as cupcakes; definitely needed a fork to accomplish the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment