Friday, September 18, 2009

Page 117 Jam Tea Cakes

"You can use any variety of jam to fill these versatile little cakes, as well as, vary the type of citrus used in the batter and in the glaze. You could also substitute milk glaze for the citrus glaze used here." - Martha
I was having a ladies luncheon at my home today and I needed a treat to serve that would be appropriate to such an event. OK, super easy recipe; great tasting cupcakes. There isn't much to be said for these because they are so simple and sweet. I chose to use orange zest as my citrus flavor in both the cupcake batter and in the glaze to frost them. I also chose to use peach jam as the filling. Peach is one of those flavors that to me is just flavor-ful enough to give you the taste and scent of its existence, but it is also just plain enough to be able to add other flavors with it to enhance a new taste.
For instance, you can use peach jam in stir fry just as easily as you can use honey, or orange marmalade and pair it with crushed red pepper flakes or teriyake. By itself, it's delicious; but always with an additive, it's better. So in this case, the peach jam didn't hinder the experience of the citrus (orange) glaze or muffin; it only made it better.
As a side note, I have really enjoyed taking the photos of my cupcakes just as much as baking them. In this photo, I hoped to achieve the look of a full-sized cupcake, but indeed these are minis. I have a very tiny spoon in the picture with which I drizzled my glaze. The drip pan is toaster-oven sized.

No comments:

Post a Comment