Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Page 157 Mint Chocolate Cupcakes

"Mint-infused milk, along with mint extract, adds flavor (but no color) to pale buttercream, the dark chocolate cupcakes are also flavored with mint. A cluster of (chocolate) mint leaves on top suggests the primary flavor component of the finished treat. The leaves may admittedly not be an 'anyday' endeavor, but they can be prepared a day or so in advance. You can, of course, serve the cupcakes without any topping other than the frosting, or garnish them with a few chocolate curls shaved from a mint bar." - Martha
If you read her words closely, you may have noticed that I didn't use the "chocolate" mint leaves as my garnish. I simply washed and dried a few small fresh mint leaves from my garden for the garnish along with a raspberry (frozen). These happen to have the look of something one might expect to serve during the holiday season, but the color scheme aside, they are perfect for a summer afternoon treat.
I used my rosette cupcake pan for these and was hoping to have the buttercream "glaze" them a bit more to show off the design of the rosettes. However, once I started to frost them, I really liked the thickness of the drip and left them alone. The cupcake was still warm...just enough to allow a bit of the design on top to peak through. I am totally satisfied with the end result. I also embellished the recipe by adding one of my favorite cookies to the cupcke...a Girl Scout Thin Mint. So after I filled the cupcake pan, I placed a cookie on top and pushed it into the batter...not too far. That way, when you turn out the cupcakes after baking the thin mint is actually toward the bottom of the cupcake and it's a surprise when you bite. I think it's a great addition!
Martha has a wonderful recipe for true buttercream frosting: separating eggs, heating each with sugar and whipping the whites to fluff and then add the yolk base. Totally worth it, but so many steps and pots and bowls! I have a simple recipe for buttercream frosting that next time I will go back to using. Those in the know would appreciate the difference in taste, but for the most part, not many are in that category. Sorry folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment