Friday, August 7, 2009

Page 126 German Chocolate Cupcakes


"Although you might think these cakes have a German pedigree, they're actually named for German's chocolate, a sweet baking chocolate developed in the nineteenth century for an American company called Baker's Chocolate.  Modern versions call for semi-sweet chocolate instead, which gives the cupcakes a well-rounded flavor, perfectly complemented by the traditional sticky-sweet coconut-pecan filling and frosting." - Martha

For the double celebration of my husband's birthday and for my mother's side St. Ivany Family Reunion this weekend, I chose to make an all-time favorite cupcake.  There may be nothing better than the gooey coconut-pecan frosting that tops these cakes.  And if you are a member of the St. Ivany family, you'd know that there is a family gene that requires you to digest an indescribable amount of sweets daily.  So these cupcakes are really the perfect potluck dish!

Martha's recipe says it makes 24 cupcakes but I didn't have that result.  My recipe only made 21.  It's close, and perhaps if I put a bit less batter in each tin cup then I could have stretched it to a full 24, however, I like the full tops on the ones I made rather than a smaller cake.  Also, this was the first recipe that I followed the entire ingredient list to the tee.  I am in St. Louis this weekend staying at my cousin's home so I purposefully shopped for the specific ingredients needed.  I guess it's weird that this was the first recipe that didn't produce a total like the others.  I placed toothpicks in each cupcake too because I learned my lesson with the filled cupcakes earlier that I know these would be top-heavy also.  She doesn't suggest it, but I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment