Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Page 22 Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

"Kids of all ages are bound to adfore white cupcakes studded with chocolate morsels. Whipped egg whites folded into the batter produce a light and airy crumb. Tossing the chocolate chips with a bit of flour helps ensure they will be distributed throughout, rather than sink to the bottoms as they bake." - Martha

Just by looking at the picture of these cupcakes I knew thay'd be a hit. They are simple and not too over-done. White cakes, chocolate frosting and non-pareils for the old-time or retro look to a cupcake is perefct for my family. However, that's how Martha displayed them, and I thought it'd be a good cupcake to add one of her decorating techniques in thebook. So instead of non-pareils I chose the goldleaf flakes to decorate them. What an switch from retro to elegant with one simple substitution. You could put these out for a grand party and make a grand statement!

The recipe was easy to follow but it did include a couple of extra bowls besides the one main mixing bowl. You know, I don't like to have too many bowls for one recipe, and I don't like to have to wash utensils after having used them for one part of the recipe before another, so I made my simple changes experimenting with the results.

When I went to whip the egg whites, I had cleaned off the beaters from mixing the butter and flour mixtures together, but I didn't wash the beaters, perse. I wiped them off. Knowing there was still minute particles of "fat" left on them, I didn't think the egg whites would fluff; they didn't. They frothed, but not to stiff peaks or anything. However, I still folded them into the batter and the cupcakes came out still very fluffy and moist!

Then, when making the Dark Chocolate Frosting I used the same bowl to melt my chips in for the frosting as I used to mix the Dutch cocoa and water. That was OK too. HOwever, I also used half cream cheese in the frosting that normally calls for all butter. I am wondering if I added the chocolate when it was still too warm or if the cream cheese moistens the icing a bit more than butter would because the frosting was slightly drippy; not as stiff and workable as I would have expected. I had to add more powdered sugar to stiffen it and then I also refrigerated it for about a half an hour to bring it to the consistentcy of which I like to frosting cakes. It then held it's shape when piped from the tube. Overall, another wonderful tasting cupcake ala Martha!

No comments:

Post a Comment