Friday, August 21, 2009

Page 33 Rhubarb Cupcakes with Whipped cream

"A harbinger of spring, rhubarb flavors these deliciously sweet-tart cupcakes. Ruby-red stalks are diced, then mixed into the cupcake batter as well as a vanilla-flecked syrup that tops a puff of whipped cream. Save any extra rhubarb topping to serve with ice cream." - Martha

I have never purchased rhubarb nor have I ever used it or eaten it, but after seeing the photo of the cupcake in this book and reading the recipe, I thought that perhaps I wouldn't mind tasting it. However, when I went to the store to actually buy some rhubarb, there was none to be found. So instead I purchased a few of one of my favorite fruits in the world...the kiwifruit. I call the kiwi the New Zealand Strawberry. It seems if the bird by the same name is from there, so should the fruit be. However, the kiwifuit is actually native to China first, then when introduced to the New Zealanders, it took hold there. They actually thought it tasted like a gooseberry, so in New Zealand, it's called the Chinese Gooseberry! I think the kiwifruit tastes very similar to a strawberry and the fact the seeds do the same thing in my teeth as do a strawberry (and even poppy seeds for that matter) I always think of it that way. ha-ha.

Anyway, I followed the recipe just exactly except for that one change in fruit. I must say that if a rhubarb tastes so similar to strawberries (strawberry-rhubarb pie), and that fact that I think kiwi tastes like a tart strawberry, then I indeed made a great substitution! These are terrific! I hope you are having a relaxing day and if you have purchased Martha's Cupcake Cookbook by now, that you'll enjoy the recipes in it as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment