Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Page 142 Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

"Tender lemon buttermilk cake, tart lemon curd, and a lightly browned peak of seven-minute frosting combine in cupcakes inspired by Martha's mile-high lemon meringue pie -- one of her signature desserts." - Martha

These are so precious looking and they taste divine! If you have never made Martha's mile-high pie, you NEED to make these cupcakes. The lemon curd is best recipe ever...it's hard to resist not putting it on the cupcakes and just eating the whole pot of curd! Not too sweet, not too tart, just right! Goldilocks would love it!

Two things: ran out of buttermilk (so many of her recipes call for it) I used regular 1% milk...no difference; and I don't know why the recipe is titled lemon "meringue" when she uses the seven minute frosting...albeit it is similar to meringue, but not the same. I made meringue for my cupcakes and baked them under the broiler for the toasting on top of the peaks. I do not own a small kitchen torch and chose not to get one. Although this would have been a perfect excuse to go ahead and indulge in a frivolous purchase of one, but I held myself back from Williams Sonoma today.

I saw Martha make these on her show not too long ago; it was funny because it was the first time I saw her almost re-do her guests attempt at the same cupcakes she was working on decorating. You could see it in her eyes..."she's not doing a very good job, uh, I can fix it, it looks sloppy, no, I'll let it be, but I really want to make it perfect, perhaps I'll make the suggestion to..." Oh well, all that counts is that Martha is still the queen of daytime cooking and craft shows! She is perfection. It's a Good Thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment