Thursday, August 20, 2009

Page 138 Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

"Capped with kisses of seven-minute frosting and dusted with cinnamon sugar, these cupcakes play on the cookie of the same name, also finished with cinnamon sugar. The cracked cookies are thought to be of German origin, and their whimsical name a mispronunciation of schneckennudeln (crinkly noodles.)" - Martha

Super easy to make and they absolutely smell, crackle and taste like the snickerdoodle cookie. When I made my today, I made half a recipe, and used my mini muffin tins instead of the big ones. Her recipe calls to make 28 regular sized muffins. A half of recipe yeilded 36 minis. There was a lot of billowy batter. I made the mistake of over-filling most of my mini cupcake liners with batter so much so that the cupcakes got flat across the top and began crisping around the edges. This is the part that truly tastes like a cookie! I kept thinking that if I had not put as much batter into the tins then a half of a recipe would have made about 48 minis. Wow!

My new-old favorite frosting is the Seven-minute frosting...tastes great like meringue but tons better! No sweating of the egg whites after time, can be refrigerated and it comes out the same look, but plan on patience. Getting the syrup to 230 degrees took about 12 minutes and then whipping the egg whites with the candy syrup was about another 7 or 8 minutes to get the frosting to cool. I also used my stainless mixing bowl so perhaps it would have cooled faster had I used a glass or ceramic bowl. I halved the icing recipe too and let me tell you...1/2 of this recipe is all you'd ever need. It makes about 3 cups of fluffy cloud-like goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment